At Hearthworks we are committed as individuals and as a company to minimise our impact on our environment throughout all aspects of the work we do, ranging from efficient transport logistics planning through to adept choices in energy supplies for our needs. We believe our attitude in looking forward to a sustainable future is paramount for the welfare of the next generation and continually re-assess ourselves to strive towards improving our standards.
- Our Yurt frames and Tipi poles are all made from local, sustainably sourced wood.
- Tipi and Yurt Covers all made from robust long-lasting Polycotton Canvas.
- After sales servicing, repairs and advice ensures our products are used for their maximum lifespan.
- Many of our products are biodegradeable, eg. wooden frames, tipi poles, tent pegs, pure wool felt covers.
- Staff and sub-contractors based in local community and utilising car-sharing wherever possible
- Our choice of vehicles and transport companies prioritises fuel efficiency and reducing mileage.
- Our yard and office heating and hot water systems have been made as efficient as possible.
- All our lighting demands at our base and at off-grid locations are met by use of energy saving CFL bulbs and as they expire are replaced with LED lighting.
- Our off-grid power generation investment for use at festivals (currently a solar array) will be integrated with our grid mains system when not in use to reduce our fossil fuel & nuclear requirements.
- We recycle all waste, excluding wood which we use as fuel for heating, and biological waste which we compost.
- Insulation – our office and main sewing area are insulated and we have identified and dealt with draughts.
- We use and prefer local suppliers and family businesses, where this is not possible we use fair trade products and environmentally friendly cleaning products. We are proud to have many fine craftsmen on board.
- The products we import from the Kyrgyz Republic are purchased according to fair trade principles and support a traditional cottage industry of local handicraft products. Unfortunately these products cannot be found in the U.K.
Hearthworks Sustainable Procurement Policy
At Hearthworks we believe that Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development should contribute to a better quality of life for everyone, now and for future generations to come.
This policy statement underpins our objectives in promoting:
- Social progress
- Effective protection of the environment
- Careful and intelligent use of natural resources
- The fostering of egalitarian and stable levels of economic growth and development
Sustainable Procurement is about embedding principles of sustainable development into both everyday spending and longer term investment decisions. Hearthworks is committed to continuous improvement across its product development, trading and operating activities. By taking sustainable development issues into account during the procurement cycle, we are able to support the improvement process within the context of our broader ethical commitments. This means that Hearthworks is committed to meeting its needs for goods, services, works and utilities in a way that achieves value for money on a whole life basis, thus generating benefits not only to the Company, but also to society and the economy, whilst minimising damage to the environment.
For this reason, we endeavour to look beyond the initial price to take account of whole life costs, quality and other benefits. In particular, account is taken of:
- Environmental impacts
- Social and Economic Issues
- Health and Safety of both customers and our workers
- Equality and Diversity, including Accessibility
This Sustainable Procurement Policy Statement serves to prompt all staff involved in the procurement of goods and services for the company to include sustainability as a factor in their purchasing decisions. (This includes complying with all legislation relevant to the initial purchase, usage and any future disposal requirements.) Specifically:
- Goods that can be used and disposed of in an environmentally responsible way are always the preferred option.
- Preference is given to Services that are structured and carried out in an environmentally responsible way.
- Items with a high recycled content are used wherever practicable.
- Options that involve reduced levels of packaging (or at least come with recyclable or reusable packaging) are prioritised
- Priority is given to purchasing choices that reduce delivery distance and minimise air freight
- Whole-life cost and energy usage is considered prior to purchase.