At Hearthworks we are committed as individuals and as a company to ensure we have minimal impact on our environment throughout every aspect of the work we do, ranging from efficient transport logistics planning through to adept choices in energy supplies for our needs. We believe our attitude in looking forward to a sustainable future is paramount for the welfare of the next generation and continually re-assess ourselves to strive towards improving our standards.
- To help others enjoy Tipis and Yurts and experience the goodness in simple living, close to the earth.
- To manufacture the finest quality Tipis and Yurts, that are as practical and durable as possible, while maintaining their traditional and aesthetic qualities, and to continually assess and improve our designs.
- To provide beautiful Tipis and Yurt for hire, that inspire and uplift people, and give a taste of how wonderful these spaces can be.
- To aim for standards of excellence in both our manufacturing and our hire service, and maintain the best possible relationships with our clients.
- To be an ethical business, community based, and act responsibly towards people and planet, supporting fair trade, local artisans and all the people who work with us.
- To promote cultural awareness and the wisdom of indigenous peoples, and support the survival of ancient skills, tribal crafts and traditional knowledge.
Ethics in Action
- Our Yurt frames and Tipi poles are all made from local, sustainably sourced wood.
- Tipi and Yurt Covers all made from robust long-lasting Polycotton Canvas.
- After sales servicing, repairs and advice ensures our products are used for their maximum lifespan.
- Many of our products are biodegradable, eg. wooden frames, tipi poles, tent pegs, pure wool felt covers, coconut matting.
- Staff and sub-contractors based in local community and utilising car-sharing wherever possible .
- Our choice of vehicles and transport companies prioritises fuel efficiency and reducing mileage.
- Our yard and office heating and hot water systems have been made as efficient as possible.
- All our lighting demands at our base and at off-grid locations are met by use of energy saving CFL bulbs and as they expire are replaced with LED lighting.
Commitment to Sustainability
We are committed to reducing our environmental impacts as much as possible and where we can to actually have a positive impact on the world around us.
Reducing negative impacts
- We recycle all waste, excluding wood which we use as fuel for heating, and biological waste which we compost.
- Insulation – our office and main sewing area are insulated and we have identified and dealt with draughts.
- We use and prefer local suppliers and family businesses, where this is not possible we use fairtrade products and environmentally friendly cleaning products. We are proud to have many fine craftsmen on board.
Maximising positive impacts
- We offer meaningful work and training to people in our local area. We are proud of successfully starting a manufacturing company in the UK and offering our skilled workers good wages. No sweatshops or child labour is involved in our products!
- The products we import from the Kyrgyz Republic are purchased according to fair trade principles and support a traditional cottage industry of local handicraft products that are not available in the UK.
- We seek to have a positive impact in the world around us. We plant trees and respect the land upon which we work. We encourage our clients to respect nature and improve their land if they can.
- Overall, we seek to help our customers reconnect with nature and remember that we are part of the web of life.
“Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”
– Chief Seattle